Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A Bioman Wanna Be

When I was a kid there is this Japanese TV hit series made up of five super heroes called Bioman. Each member has their own identity; namely Red One, Green Two, Blue Three, Yellow Four and Pink Five. Red One being the leader of the group is mostly idolized by every kid especially me. As a kid, I even wonder how can I become a member of Bioman, if there was a school that can teach me what these heroes do, I might have beg to my parents for them to enroll me on that institution.

But even though I was still very young during those days, there is something that bothers me, I guess I'm starting to understand the difference between fantasy from reality. When me and my playmates are watching Bioman my playmates would designate themselves of the character that they like, one would say : "I will be Red One and will act as your leader", and the other kids would request "let me be Green Two or Blue Three" and so on and so forth. But I never volunteered to be Red One or any member of the Bioman in any games that we had. Of course I wanted to be Red One but I'm afraid that I might be ridiculed by some of the kids. At a very young age I am aware that I wouldn't fit to be a member of Bioman because I'm a handicapped who doesn't have legs. I need not to be told by my fellow kids about my physical deformity for I can clearly see that there is no Bioman that resembles to me.

Until one day, we were playing inside our neighbor's house and our game was the "Bioman Wanna Be". One of my playmate said : "I'll be Red One since I'm the biggest and strongest among us" which in no doubt that he really is, because his size doesn't fit his age. But one of the girls contested and said : "Why do you always have to be Red One, can't we have a new leader besides you? The big boy didn't like what he heard and before the commotion started my friends mom, Mrs Fernandez speak up to pacify the kids. She suggested : "Since most of you boys have been assigned as Red One why don't we make Billie your leader, for he will be the Red One for the day" and a complete silence echo in the entire house. My playmates stare at me, point blank, totally clueless of what to say. I know that if isn't for Mrs Fernandez some of the kids could have already contested it, but since it's the owner of the house who requested it, they couldn't say a word. No one objected it but no one also agreed to it. Mrs. Fernandez was the only one smiling as she tries to convince the other kids. As my heart pound so fast I decided to respond : "It's okay Mrs Fernandez, I don't want to be Red One. I just want to be an audience to them as they do the role play."

My playmate proceeded with their role play game as I watched them play around, Mrs Fernandez sit beside me and asked : "Billie why did you turn my proposal down?" But I didn't answered and just smiled back at her. But she continued : "Every kid wants to be Red One and I know you do too" Again I didn't respond and just smiled back at her. Again she asked but this time with a bit of a threat :"Billie if you're not going to reply a single word and if you're not going to tell me the truth, I will never let you enter my house again!" So I replied : "Mrs Fernandez, it is my dream to be Red One just like the other kids but I know I wouldn't fit, I'm a handicapped, I don't have legs how can I become a hero. The leader of the team should be big and strong but I can't even.... I can't even.... I paused since the words are starting to get jumbled and I couldn't utter the words that I want to say, as I try to control the water that starts to fill in my eyes. But Mrs Fernandez  was very persistent and asked   "You can't even what?" with a heavy heart and mumbling voice I continued "I can't even..... I can't even.... walk"

Mrs Fernandez smiled, embraced me and said "Billie my dear, you don't need special powers to be a hero and you don't need legs just to be a good leader. A hero was never in a physical form but measured in a persons courage and kindness. It doesn't matter if you can't walk, what matters is you walk on the Lords path. Always remember that you will always be our little hero and you and my son will always be my Red One"

I may have not understood her well during that time but I remembered clearly how I felt so blessed with her words. To all my readers please always grab the opportunity to uplift someones heart. I am grateful for what Mrs Fernandez did, I may never see her again but I will never forget her.

17 comments:

  1. meron akong 5 appendage but I too often hesitate to present myself to be the leader.i think i'm kind enough, i guess i just need to be more courageous. well, that's a thought. good job billy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A person, who no matter how desperate the situation, gives others hope, is a true leader.That's what you have Bill...That's what you possess.You have a big heart. And we are really proud of what you are.You are such an inspiration to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill, true strength is not only shown by doing incredible things thru physical means. True strength is the ability of a person to handle every difficult situation with courage and faith.

    Thank you for giving hope to other people who they think there's no hope in their current situation. May this be the start of a new way of seeing things in different perspective.

    God bless you... Please continue inspiring our friends and other people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "You don't need special powers to be a hero and you don't need legs just to be a good leader. A hero was never in a physical form but measured in a persons courage and kindness. It doesn't matter if you can't walk, what matters is you walk on the Lords path. Always remember that you will always be our little hero and you and my son will always be my Red One"

    ========================================

    The highlighted quote from your blog. JOB WELL DONE, Bill! You have never fail to inspire everyone especially your friends. It is truly a great blessing to have a friend like you who have always inspired me. Be it in a simple way or in a special occasions, you've always been there to provide some counseling and advise. I am thankful that I have a fiend like you. You've got great blessing and great future to look forward. And, WE (your friends) are very blessed to have you! Never go changing. Love yah friend! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your physical state should never be a factor to consider whether you are capable of doing things or not. This is always measured by your WILL.

    I thank you for letting me read such a beautifully written post. It wouldn't feel right to change anything in it since it's all heartfelt and whatever comes from the heart defies any rule in the English Grammar book...

    ~Nona

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Billie,

    ang ganda ng message mo for all of us. Truth is, ever since I've met you, you have become one of my inspirations. It really amazes me to see how much courage and strength you have. It doesn't matter what a person is, what matters is what he can do for himself and for others.

    you're really amazing, Billie and I am very grateful that I was given a chance to meet you. keep on inspiring others! May God always bless you!

    -Lei =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Billie! i agree with what Mrs. Fernandez said, "you don't need special powers to be a hero and you don't need legs just to be a good leader. A hero was never in a physical form but measured in a persons courage and kindness."
    i may not have said this to you before but i really admire you, in so many ways. You chose to live a good life instead of drowning your spirit in self pity..and in the process, you inspired others to do the same. I'm very blessed to have known you and work with you. You have a a very pure heart, do not stop sharing yourself and inspiring us to be like you. Till we meet again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I NEED A SUPERHERO

    I think all of us ordinary mortals wants to be a superhero in some point of our lives. I for one is guilty of imagining myself as Red One. (of course) Now thinking of me as a superhero now or anybody I know made me think twice, after probably watching so, so, so, many superhero movies that I have lost count of have made me ponder.....

    May I quote the famous
    Peter Parker: Spiderman
    Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words: "With great power comes great responsibility." This is my gift, my curse. Who am I? I'm Spiderman.

    This is too much, it simply means that you will be so, so, so busy, that you will have no time for your family and friends.

    Also, I have realized that most of the time you will be the underdog, simply because you need to be virtuous as the same time must keep a low profile, so that nobody will recognize you.

    You also needs to weak a disguise so that nobody will recognize you or know your real identity. Which I believe sucks right !!!

    If nobody will recognize you, therefore you will feel alienated and would feel sad and lonely.

    If this is the case, how can you share the wonderful stories and experiences that you have and will encounter in your every day busy life.

    Should I continue on and on and on? I hope not.

    YOU NEED NOT BE A SUPERHERO

    YOU ARE A SUPERHERO NOW!!!

    (Well at least to your family and friends who
    enjoys your company. Hope to see you soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heroes have to be fast right? Since when have legs ever beat wheels before?? But seriously dude, your one of the strongest people I know - not just in the physical sense... And you what, I bet the bigger kid what the one who needed saving...



    *Miss having you as my seat mate and go to person!!! ingat!:P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Billy,

    Your story is truly inspiring.

    More power to you.

    -Danny

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Lord will never fail you.
    Continue to be a blessing to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My friend, you're a Superhero in your own self.
    God is watching us and He is good all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kung BIOMAN sila eh di Mag Shider kana lang! Katabi mo pa si Annie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! First world problems?! You don't have legs yet you have a wheel chair, others don't even have a shelter to live at. You can blog on your computer while others can't even read and write. You have a business while others burn their skin to sell kakanin in the streets. If you think your life is hard because of being a handicap, try having my cancer and live a numbered life ahead of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. - just to share the point of view of the blogger, its purpose is to remind people of their blessing and not to compare who has a more difficult situation. A disability is something the writer has since day one of his life and he will forever have that situation until his last breath in this world. When you were born you don't have a cancer, and you were able to experience a normal life but for a handicapped like Billie its something he never had. I pray for you to have a much longer life and I hope you'll have the heart to understand the life of a disabled person and not to compare it with your cancer.

      Delete
  15. I think the main story of Billie's blog isn't about the difficulties of a handicapped but the kindness of Mrs. Fernandez, it's not about "First world problems" The story is being told that happened in the past, the previous comment is totally pointless. We hope that you get well with your cancer but the life of a handicapped is something unimaginable. A cancer can be cured but a disability is something you have to live with the rest of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you kuya billie for sharing your story, nakaka inspire k tlaga ;-) i miss u kuya billie muaaah ;-)

    ReplyDelete